Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > My Cousin the Saint: A Search for Faith, Family, and Miracles

My Cousin the Saint by Justin Catanoso

Mar 12, 11

bookshelves: autobiography-biography, religion-and-spirituality
Recommended to Kathleen by: Beverley
Read from February 16 to March 10, 2011

This was a very good read. We have biography, autobiography, learning about one's past and about another culture, and a spiritual journey through all of it. As I said in one of my updates, it didn't always grip me, but despite that I wasn't ever tempted to stop reading - I wanted to know how Catanoso got on in his search for understanding what being a saint is all about, and what it might mean to him.

I don't understand sainthood myself. My only experience with a person that others thought saintly was a slightly negative one. I felt that that person judged me lacking (which I also felt about myself, but that's not the point) and that didn't seem to me to be how a saint should view anybody. I still haven't quite processed that fully, because it still takes me back into a sort of huffy resentment. It may actually be that my feeling that I was judged was actually my own judging of myself (as I said, a negative one, and correctly so) being reflected back at me.

Ha! Maybe there's some insight coming here. This book has been good for me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Cousin the Saint.

02/16/2011 page 23
7.0% "This was recommended to me by one of my parishioners - "You're always recommending books to us. Here's one I've just finished that I'm sure you'll enjoy.""
02/17/2011 page 42
13.0% "I've been thinking about my own great-grandfather who emigrated to Australia from Sicily. This author talks of the "stubborn poverty" of southern Italy, and records that 'Between 1880 and 1930 . . 4 1/2 million Italians entered the US, an astonishing 80% from the 7 regions south of Rome. I guess the immigrants to Aus. were largely from the same poverty-stricken areas."
03/05/2011 page 105
31.0% "At times I've found this a little lengthy, but then the author draws me back in. So all in all I'm enjoying it very much."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica From what I know of you, I think you're a saint.

Kathleen Dixon Monica wrote: "From what I know of you, I think you're a saint."

What a nice thing for you to say! But I can tell you, I'm far from it.