Kristin's Reviews > Please Ignore Vera Dietz

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Feb 19, 11

Read from February 14 to 19, 2011

Vera Dietz can not only deliver pizza, she can also commune with the dead. Who wouldn't love a girl with such versatile talents? Vera is a smart, clever, and interesting character. A.S. King's characters possess strong and entertaining voices, and the story is well-told. I liked that the author broke away from Vera's narrative with chapters written from other characters' perspectives. I also enjoyed the quirky flow charts.
I'm not sure if I would teach this in a classroom; however, I do think this novel asks some very important questions that I'm sure students would like to explore. Throughout the book, Vera struggles with her identity. She wonders if she's destined to become a teenage mother/stripper like her own mother. Vera smothers her feelings for Charlie because she claims that he is certain to become an abuser like his father. Vera's father continually warns her about alcohol because he worries that she'll end up like him. I think teens can relate to that. Many kids fear they will turn out like their parents, or they make vows to never be like them, but what if it is our destiny to turn into them? "Please Ignore Vera Dietz" is a good book to bring various opinions about the nature of our identity, the existence of destiny, and the importance of personal responsibility to light.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Please Ignore Vera Dietz.