Ellen Maze's Reviews > Brooklyn NY: A Grim Retrospective: A Memoir

Brooklyn NY by Jerry Castaldo

Nov 09, 12

Read in February, 2011 — I own a copy

Giro "Jerry" Castaldo is real, and this memoir chilling. Covering more than twenty years, this amazing story will touch your deepest inward parts and stick with you forever. Without holding any punches, the author allows us an exclusive peek not only into his past, but also into his heart and spirit. Yes, the streets were mean, and Jerry's activities feckless, to put it lightly, but while I read this memoir, I saw so much more. I saw hope, love, and a desperate desire to be good; to return to the "altar boy" existence he had before puberty. Oh! I could have strangled him as his addiction caused him one missed opportunity after another! When he finally fell to the lowest point, he finally allows healing to being through an AA encounter. Thank God Jerry hung on and lived long enough to see sobriety---and the wonderful and happy life he has today.
5 Huge Stars for the best memoir I have ever read!

Ellen C. Maze
Author of Curiously Spiritual Vampire Tales
Including "Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider", Customer-Rated #1 in Horror on Amazon

tags: memoir, new york city, manhattan, aa, organized crime, italian, bronx

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brooklyn NY.

07/26/2011 page 52
24.0% "This is my 2nd read-thru. "The Mob, the Bookie, and the Leisure Suits." Jerry stole the wrong man's car--a mobster! I keep expecting the author to be pummeled, or murdered, or worse."