Nomes's Reviews > Fall for Anything

Fall for Anything by Courtney Summers

Feb 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, crushing-on-the-writing, i-own, mixed-feelings

I am a HUGE fan of the lovely Courtney Summers ~ yet I have mixed feelings about this book.

Fall For Anything has a very different vibe to her two previous novels. It is less energetic and in your face. It has a quieter vibe ~ yet I think her writing style is just as brilliant as ever. It feels like a more sophisticated work than her previous novels ~ the prose is gorgeous and the sentiments and themes HIT HARD.

It's a BRILLIANT portrayal of grief and confusion and loss ~ which works particularly well against a back-drop of art and with a main character who is just at that perfect coming-of-age age :).

The emotion just OOZES out of the pages.It's an addictive read ~ it just grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. I loved the quiet intensity and the way Courtney Summers just throws the reader into the world making you feel all lost and swirly alongside Eddie.

I would give the prose 5 starts straight up. but as for the actual story ~ for some reason, I just didn't particularly enjoy the plot. There's no doubt it was intense and beautifully, achingly written. Also, addictive. I love the way she built the mystery and the creepy vibe that gives the astute reader clues that Eddie in her grief is oblivious to.

I also wanted to crush on Milo ~ but didn't really. He held himself too aloof and some of his actions didn't make sense to me, even in hindsight. One particular secret he kept from Eddie (despite her constant distress) turned out to be so anti-climatic when revealed that it made me wonder why that sub-plot had been so built-up to begin with?

My three stars is for being sucked in and more than a little in awe of so many crush-worthy sentences. I wish I could give it more but I'm going with my gut ~ which overall felt like the plot floundered a little and creeped me out a smidgen (in a sick in the tummy way) and it just wasn't completely my thing ~ not sure what else to say :)
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall for Anything.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Loved this book and your review <3

Nomes thanks aly :) I did like this book a lot.

But at the same time, didn't like that creepy/uneasy vibe in the pit of my stomach (I am sensing a theme that I don't enjoy these kinds of tense books as much as I should for their brilliance. If you get what I mean?)

Aly (Fantasy4eva) Nomes wrote: "thanks aly :) I did like this book a lot.

I understand exactly what you're saying. I kind of love it all though, but it's not for everyone. About to review this soon :)