Tamara's Reviews > Three Weeks With My Brother

Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks

F_50x66
Feb 16, 11

Read from February 14 to 15, 2011

This book is a mix of a travelogue to tell about a trip around the world and flashbacks to tell the story of Nicholas and Micah Sparks' lives. While Sparks is a great writer and his story was interesting, I wasn't sure what the point of his story was.

He spends very little time describing the places he visits, so it's not an effective travelogue, really. If you were actually interested in the places they visit, this isn't the right book to get any detailed information.

The flashbacks that tell of his life are much more interesting, but he had a pretty normal growing-up life. Sure, he was poor, sure his parents allowed him and his brother a lot of independence, and there were some other little quirky things, but it seemed like a fairly normal childhood to me.

It's later in life when the more dramatic things start happening and perhaps give reason for the writing of the book (I don't want to get into details in case you haven't read it yet, but there are several hardships that both brothers have to deal with as adults). On the other hand, Sparks is a famous author, so maybe the point of the book was just to publish his memoirs?

Regardless, his writing is very interesting and easy to read. I am definitely more interested in reading his other books than I may otherwise have been.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Weeks With My Brother.