Stewie's Mom's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Apr 25, 11

bookshelves: april-2011
Read from March 30 to April 24, 2011

No summaries here. This book has been publicized so much, I don't feel a recap will be needed. I really liked this book. I waited 2 years, apparently, to read it. Now that I've read it, I'm not sure why it took me so long to pick it up. What a terrific story. I wasn't sure what to expect, and for the first several chapters, I wasn't all that impressed. When Minny and Aibileen and Skeeter's stories began to intersect, and I got the idea of what was going on, I kept wanting to read more than my time would allow. The story is so well written that I felt like I could hear Aibileen and Minny, Celia, Skeeter and her Mother, along with the rest of the characters speaking to me. It really was like being in the room with these characters, kind of like a fly on the wall.

I've recently read several other reviews that were less than flattering, and I found myself wondering "How high are your hopes and does anything meet your expectations?" pertaining to the other reviewers. The only part of the story I wish had been different was the very end. Everyone has a resolution, except Aibileen. I realize that not all stories have a happy ending, but I felt the final portion of the story was hurried along and severely clipped. I would have liked a little more depth to the ending. I want to know where Aibileen went and I want to know who her next baby was. Overall, this was an enjoyable story and I'll probably read or maybe listen (audiobooks are great!) to it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.