Joyzi's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Movie Review

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

The movie was okay. It was really boring at first and has a slow pace. It was really weird sort of that a movie with a great premise (clones being made as organ donors when they turned adults) was centered on a very contrived love triangle.

I'm just thinking it could have been better. However the ending was good. It was very depressing, the way it turned out for the characters in the end.

I'll just say if you're planning to watch it, just be patient because you might lose interest, just like my mother who actually didn't finish the movie.

Maybe I'll read the book since I have questions about the movie like why don't they just escape and what exactly was the purpose of the electronic band they're wearing. Or maybe not, I'll just read the wiki summary.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited Apr 14, 2011 05:41AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kwesi 章英狮 I have to read the book!! I'll just read the wiki summary. - Epic Fail! Haha.

Krizia Anna READ THE BOOK! haha but if you did not enjoy the movie you might not enjoy the book. Since the movie spoiled it already for you. I think the nice thing about the book is its mysteriousness. And if you don't like sad endings then the book's not probably for you. But its one of my favorites. Ishiguro has really good writing.

message 3: by Joyzi (last edited Apr 14, 2011 04:14PM) (new) - added it

Joyzi Lol Kwesi, I read the wiki summary but I still don't have the answer on what that electronic bracelet mean and why the three of them didn't escape...

@Krizia, you're right I prefer happy endings, I heard that this book won the Booker Prize, I'll probably read it, but it was really depressing that I'm not excited or looking forward to it

Ruth this book freaked me out so much. Me and human donors just don't attract.

Kwesi 章英狮 Joyzi, Ay, they said that the electronic bracelet doesn't emphasize or include in the book raw and the author don't mind it in the movie. Maybe the director just added some stupid stuff.

message 6: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi @ Ruth I like the idea of it you know clones and human donation but it was not emphasized in the movie, the story was centered on the love triangle, the first half of the movie was boring.

@Kwesi yeah I know it was used in the movie as like a censor or something when they go inside the house, and it doesn't really do anything.

@Brian yeah it pretty much have the same idea but I really prefer The Island over this one. I also like Unwind, a book by Neil Shusterman, better than this one too.

Jonell I think you mean the pace is slow, not the plot.

Jonell All the same, reading the book first is the perfect way to appreciate the movie. When I finished the book, I hurriedly looked for the trailer and got goosebumps. After watching the movie, I got disappointed with the changes but it did its best to come up with the magic the book has generated.

message 9: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi Gee, thanks for the correction, yeah I do mean it that way :) Seeing that I just find the movie okay, I'm not that excited to read the book, maybe sometime if I feel like it. I don't know it's just that the story lacks something, like an explanation to why it turned out that way in the end. I'm waiting for some resistance to happen, but the characters just accepted their fate.

Krizia Anna The movie focused too much on the love angle of the book. It was different in the book. I think love was more evident when they were donors and carers already.

message 11: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi yeah that got me turned off as well in the movie. It's like I just wanted to shout this: Hey you got a very cool premise and you focused the story on a love triangle?!!

Krizia Anna You might like the book nga. Kasi some people would love to read about love diba? Dito wala masyado. Katawa nga kasi sa book parang ang slut ni Kathy sa movie mahinhin! hehe

message 13: by Joyzi (last edited Apr 15, 2011 05:46AM) (new) - added it

Joyzi It was just different from Unwind and The Island, don't know uhhm this one is a bit on the mellow, dramatic side.

I also read in a review that the Tommy in the book and in the movie is also portrayed differently.

Krizia Anna Parang the same lang naman si Tommy in the book and the movie. Parang ang different for me is Ruth. Mas RUTHless si Ruth sa movie. You'll hate her more in the movie.

message 15: by Ryan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ryan "Maybe I'll read the book since I have questions about the movie like why don't they just escape and what exactly was the purpose of the electronic band they're wearing."

There are no direct answers offered in the novel.

message 16: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi @Krizia I didn't really hate Ruth in the movie that much. I just find it weird that one moment Tommy and Kathy were friends and even Tommy give Kathy a cassete tape. And the next thing you know Tommy and Ruth were holding hands and there's also a scene wherein Ruth's kissing Tommy in the fountain. It felt abrupt for me.

@Ryan ouch that's another reason why I should not waste my time on the book

message 17: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali Alawi goddamit joyz LOL. i was thinkin of readin it, but i think u've spoiled some stuff in ur movie review :( . y do i have to be a perfectionist??? gosh.. >_<

message 18: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi sorry...did I spoil something? oh mi gosh *edits the review*

message 19: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali Alawi it might not be a big deal lol. it's just that, do they tell u about the cloning part from the first pages, or iz ti a mystery that u get to know later on?

Kwesi 章英狮 A mystery.

message 21: by Joyzi (new) - added it

Joyzi you get to know it later on

message 22: by Joyzi (new) - added it