Amber French's Reviews > A Trail of Ink

A Trail of Ink by Mel Starr

Mar 08, 11

Read from March 01 to 03, 2011

Hugh de Singleton is the bailiff for Lord Gilbert Talbot. He discovers a friend of his, Master John Wyclif, has had twenty-two books stolen. Hugh accepts the challenge of finding the missing books as quickly as possible. Spurring him on is his future marriage to Kate Caxton; they’re to be married as soon as he can solve the case. Hugh doesn’t seem to have any leads in the matter. No one saw anyone suspicious near Mastor Wyclif’s room at Oxford and no clues were left. As Hugh begins asking questions, those responsible try to stop him. He’s falsely arrested, kidnapped, and they attempt to silence him for good. Can he put the pieces together before it’s too late?

This is the third book in the series and I haven’t read the others. I wasn’t sure I’d be able to get into the story without having the background knowledge from the other books but it wasn’t a problem. I especially enjoyed Starr’s sense of humor. I felt like there was a very good blend of intrigue and action to keep me hooked. Starr’s writing style was a little hard to adjust to at first but it didn’t take away from the story. The only negative thing is that I would have liked to see more dialogue between Hugh and Kate. Overall, a good read. I’ll be adding the first two books to my reading list!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Trail of Ink.