Angie's Reviews > Sold

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Feb 14, 2011

Read in February, 2011

I read this book in essentially one sitting (with a few brief interruptions... I am a Mommy after all LOL) and was totally captivated by it. I thought the writing was both beautifully descriptive and simply horrifying. The subject matter ripped my heart out, and told from the perspective of a 13 year old girl made it all the more powerful, in my opinion. I felt that the author managed to paint lots of simple, poignant glimpses into the lives of these young girls sold into the sex trade resulting in a picture that captured the overall horror of it without shoving lots of graphically descriptive details into the reader's head. I appreciated the lack of graphic details, but also appreciated the inclusion of the subtle horrors so that I could try to understand even a fraction of what these girls go through. I was completely drawn into the book which caused me to weep in some parts and made my heart race in others. I thought it was beautiful and horrible all at once, and I'm really glad that I read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sold.