EZRead eBookstore's Reviews > While Mortals Sleep: Unpublished Short Fiction

While Mortals Sleep by Kurt Vonnegut

Feb 15, 2011

bookshelves: jenifer-reviews
Read from February 14 to 15, 2011

There are 16 short stories in “While Mortals Sleep,” and I really loved all of them. I’m not afraid to climb on top of one of those old trick planes and wave a banner from the sky: “I NO LONGER THINK KURT VONNEGUT IS JUST OKAY….HE IS WONDERFUL!”

In all wickedness, I had only read “Slaughterhouse-Five” as my Kurt Vonnegut read beforehand. He seems to be touted by most everyone, but is especially praised by post-students who thought their assigned school reading (and nothing else) was “far out”. So you can see, I’m not bitter. I actually was surprised to see how cohesive and magical these short stories were, far from overdoing a single point about this or that. And funny without being so aware of itself; just charming.

Each short story is unique in its content, not necessarily so in its tone, and I definitely had my favorites. I loved the story of a widow who picks up a well-versed pen pal in “Out, Brief Candle”, and the rival painters with different styles in “The Humbugs”. I loved and hated the human drama of a pregnant and widowed wife meeting her mother-in-law for the first time in “Ruth”, and sort of didn’t understand the nonsense of “The Man Without No Kiddleys”. Some with twists and some without, it did remind me a lot of some of Roald Dahl’s short story collections for adult readers. Which is a high compliment indeed, coming from a reader who is going to forcefully name all of her children “Roald.”

There is really no way you can dislike this story collection. Even if you were laid out on some operating table having something precious cut off, any one of these stories read aloud would bring a smile to your face.

-EZ Read Staffer Jenifer

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read While Mortals Sleep.