kelley's Reviews > To the Rescue: The Biography of Thomas S. Monson

To the Rescue by Heidi S. Swinton

Apr 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011, kindle, lds, inspirational, book-club, utah-author, nonfiction
Read in April, 2011

Thomas S. Monson is the President of my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; but more than that he is also a prophet of God and gives us spiritual guidance and direction. This biographical sketch of President Monson opened my eyes to how much this man has accomplished over the course of his life time. Being in the leadership of a worldwide church requires not only an unfathomable commitment of time, physical energy and personal resources but also the willingness to spend countless hours in prayer seeking guidance and direction. It requires a deep and abiding love for the people of the world and most of all a deep and abiding faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. President Monson has been exemplary in his service and I was deeply touched by the efforts of this man to build the kingdom of God on the earth.

President Monson cares deeply about each individual person and his efforts through the years have proven that. This book contains many examples of how his personal interest in individuals made a great difference in their lives. President Monson has an uncanny ability to recall names, faces and events. He ordained my father to the office of The Seventy and many years later when he met him again he called him by name and they reminisced about their meeting so many years before. President Monson is a remarkable man with a “glorious memory, which is almost unequaled among men.” (Location 9461)

He also has a great gift for making great events happen. My favorite chapters in this book were the chapters dealing with his work in Germany before and after the Second World War. My heart broke as the missionaries left the members of the church to fend for themselves as the war bombarded them. President Monson’s counsel to them was to obey their government officials but to remain faithful to their beliefs. Years later President Monson was able to cross through the gate of the Berlin wall un-harassed to visit the members of the church and begin the process of rebuilding. The faith of the members of the church and President Monson’s diligence in seeing to their needs was very touching and emotional for me.

I really enjoyed reading this book and getting to know the man I sustain as a Prophet of God.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Rescue.