Lisa Bee's Reviews > The President's Vampire

The President's Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth

Apr 21, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read in January, 2011

Full disclosure: the author is a friend of mine. That may have bumped the rating up .5 stars, but I would have given it top marks anyway. Loved Blood Oath, definitely recommend reading that first, but I could hardly put The President's Vampire down once I started reading. If you like Blood Oath you will LOVE TPV. And if you're jumping into the series here, you'll have an excellent time and will only miss a little background.

Cade, our titular vampire, does not sparkle, is not especially nice, and will not fulfill romantic allusions frequently present in vampire fiction (or, um, at least a lot of the vamp fic *I* read). However, he will out-badass Bourne, Bond, or any other human hero. Reading his sections is so much fun, b/c he is completely beyond good or bad...his only goal is killing the evil things that threaten the Western world. (Including Osama Bin Laden's gory demise....which I will appreciate in fiction until reality arrives.)

However, a quasi-immortal kicking ass can be predictable. Cue the supporting cast, especially Cade's handler, Zach. Zach is as human as they come: smart, a little egocentric but also an outcast, perhaps thinking himself a little TOO untouchable with the world's scariest bodyguard looking after him. I was Team Cade in Blood Oath but 100% Team Zach in TPV.

I love comic books, monster movies, vampires (gothic to Twilighty), twisty political thrillers, and just plain fun reads. TPV delivers on all levels. A great vacation/flying read when you want to lose yourself for a few uninterrupted hours. Two thumbs up.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The President's Vampire.