Laura's Reviews > My Favorite Band Does Not Exist

Feb 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: free-arc, reviewed, best-title
Read from March 06 to 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book takes a really interesting concept and makes it so convoluted that I lost interest. I was intrigued by the idea (but not Idea) that the main character of a book created a band that turned out to be real in an alternate universe. Things start to get crazy when the main character of the book and the lead singer of the band cross paths and accidentally swap spots in their universes and then are suddenly characters in a book and become one.

Each new twist and turn in the plot lost my interest more and more because it made things harder to follow. A unique idea that simply got out of hand. I think this book would have been a lot better with a little editing and simplification.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Favorite Band Does Not Exist.

03/06/2011 page 49
18.0% "This book is trippy in the best way possible. As far as I can tell, there's the real world, the alternate world that Idea's fake band inhabits with a member who is Eunice's tattoo (I know, what?), and then there's a book that appears in both universes. If any of that makes sense. I'm hooked as long as it's all going somewhere."
03/13/2011 page 127
47.0% "I think this book is getting a little heavy handed with pointing out the plot devices and the whole concept that the main character has a diagnosed illness that makes him feel like he's a main character in a book (*wink, wink, nudge, nudge* get it?)."
show 1 hidden update…