Jacki's Reviews > Slice of Cherry

F_50x66
Feb 19, 11

bookshelves: teen-fiction, horror, fantasy
Read from February 14 to 16, 2011

Summary: In the town of Portero, Texas, dangerous creatures roam the woods and fairy doors intersect with reality. Kit and Fancy, daughters of the notorious Bonesaw Killer, use their talent for getting through these doors to hide the bodies of their own victims. While the sisters have grown up together and share a love of killing, dissecting, and dismembering, lately they've started to grow apart. Kit is ready to grow up and fall in love, but Fancy wants to remain in the safe childhood world where it's just the two of them. Kit wants Fancy to lighten up, and she's also unhappy that her sister wants to kill using her imaginary minions rather than by hand. With their dispositions, blood is sure to spill...

Yay!: If you make it through the blood splatters and get into the second half of the book, the tension between the sisters becomes explosive and interesting. The characters grow, change, and learn to settle their differences. More secondary characters are introduced late in the book, and the setting and plot finally catch up with the action, so the book eventually goes from weird and disgusting to twisted and clever.

Nay!: The plot takes forever to move. The first half of the book is heavily padded with gratuitous violence that doesn't advance the story, leaving me grossed out but bored. The setting wasn't explained or developed well, and I had to read reviews of Bleeding Violet to get some background. Since this is a companion novel and not a sequel, that shouldn't have been necessary. Also, Fancy is a strange heroine who's not easy to sympathize with. While she starts out as the sister who is more hesitant about killing, once she figures out how they can kill without getting caught, she becomes extremely cruel. Her obsessive need to possess her sister and stay a little girl forever gets disturbing after a while, and it's so deep-seated that I didn't believe the speedy resolution of her issues toward the end of the book.

Verdict: Nice, unique effort, though very front-heavy.

Warning: Librarians in conservative areas, beware. This book is not just filled with graphic violence, the two teen heroines kill people (not monsters or what have you) for sport, including other teens. Oh, also there's sexual content. Basically, it's the kind of book parents get upset about, so if you're going to have it in your collection, read it and be able to defend it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slice of Cherry.

02/14/2011 page 35
7.0% "Holy crap! This is the kind of book that makes me face-palm when out of touch adults think YA doesn't have graphic content. Holy crap!"
02/15/2011 page 68
13.0% "This is hard. The book is decently written, but the gratuitous violence is killing me. Monstrumologist was different; monsters were killing people. Teens killing people? Less okay!"
02/15/2011 page 128
25.0% "Oh wow. This book is only getting more messed up."
02/16/2011 page 205
40.0% "Okay, I can't do it. I'm done. Heroines stabbing boys in the eye is my breaking point!" 3 comments
02/17/2011 page 205
40.0% "I shall finish this! I will not be defeated by two imaginary teenage psychopaths!"
show 2 hidden updates…