Lissa's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore

Jun 23, 2011

bookshelves: kick-ass-heroine, 2011, love-this-boy
Read from May 02 to June 23, 2011

In my opinion, read Graceling first. But then read Fire. Even though if you're going to read this review, I'm going to give all these spoilers anyway. But I think Fire is better. I only gave Graceling 3 stars, and I believe Fire will become one of my favourite books.

(view spoiler)

If I think of anything else to add, I'll edit it later. But this is certainly one of my favourite books now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.

06/21/2011 page 50
15.0% "I finally started reading this book, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. I definitely think you need to read Graceling before you read this one, just so you can 'get' the whole Immiker thing. I only meant to read a little bit, but I ended up at 50 pages and wanted to keep going, so I suppose Cashore is doing something right! I only put it down because I was too tired to keep going."
06/21/2011 page 148
44.0% "Cashore's prose is wonderful and descriptive. I never have a problem with her technique. It's the inconsistencies. I mean: monsters. If a monster always produces monster offspring, then eventually there will only be monsters left. How is this an evolutionary advantage? And if they only want to eat monster meat, why don't the swarms cannibalise each other? It's inconsistent."
06/22/2011 page 198
59.0% "Of *course* it's Leck. I've known all along. After all, this is a prequel. He's still incredibly creepy, and I'm glad Fire finally worked it out. In other opinions, I think Cashore does a marvellous job of writing a young woman so beautiful she is often sexually assaulted or hated with jealousy for being so magically beautiful. She manages it without Fire seeming like a Mary Sue or a victim. For that, I applaud her."
06/23/2011 page 238
71.0% "OK, it's taken a while for me to realise it, but I've finally realised the relationship between Archer and Brigan. I don't want to spoil it, but now that I realise it, it seems obvious to me. I always liked Brigan, probably because he wasn't handsome like Nash and had this great personality. Also, I read about Fire's decision to sterilise herself last night, and cried. I mean, it was so sad. She thinks she's useless."

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I enjoyed Graceling, let's see if the prequel Fire is as good.

message 3: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa OK, I haven't ACTUALLY started it yet. Too busy working on my own novel and playing Pokemon. Will endeavour to start soon.

message 2: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa OK I still haven't started yet.

message 1: by Lissa (new) - added it

Lissa I should just take this off my 'currently reading' list until I actually start reading it.