Traci Haley's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, audiobooks, teenbooks, sci-fi, dystopian-apocalyptic, best-of-2011, series-books
Read from February 14 to 27, 2011

I read this immediately after reading Beth Revis' "Across the Universe". Both have very similar themes, so I have to admit, about halfway through I started to question whether there's something wrong with me for enjoying dystopian novels so darn much.

And then I decided that if it's wrong, I don't want to be right. I can't help but compare "Matched" with "Across the Universe", though, and I think that "Matched" is ever so slightly better than "Across the Universe". Ky and Cassia's romance is so sweet, you just can't help but root for them to win.

The future depicted in "Matched" is also quite fascinating to me... and it really made me think about what life would be like in that sort of future. On the one hand, it'd be kind of nice to be assured that you'd have perfect health, a happy marriage, and a career that you could excel in. It'd be nice to know that you'd die at 80 after a long, productive life. On the other hand... only 100 poems exist in the world? And 100 songs? And my little, book-lovin' heart just about imploded over the scene of Cassia's father's work crew burning entire libraries of books. Creativity is squelched and there is absolutely no choice left in this society. Overall, that kind of society just wouldn't work for anyone who lives in a free society today. Still, it really makes you think about things.

The only thing I really hated about this book was the end. I normally like a cliffhanger because it means I can look forward to the sequel. In this case, I'd become so attached to Ky and Cassia that I REALLY wanted closure...and didn't get it. Please let there be a sequel SOON.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mermaidrain (new)

Mermaidrain Your description reminds me just a bit of "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury. Have you read that one? Do they compare?

Traci Haley I haven't read it, but I know what it's about...I think it's probably similar, at least the society in which the characters live.