Megan Drees's Reviews > Two Bad Ants

Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg

Feb 14, 11

Read in February, 2011

Chris Van Allsburg tells a tale of two ants that decide to leave their colony behind for new and selfish pleasures. But in this new world, the ants are forced into unpleasant situations that leave that grateful to return home to their family. The illustrations of this story are very important to the understanding of the ants experience. The images give details that the text is unfamiliar with because it is told from the perspective of the ants. In the story there is reference to disks, a cave and edible crystals. Without the illustrations the reader would not know that these things are actually bagels, a human mouth, and sugar. The illustrations give a worm's-eye view so that the reader can better understand how ants view the world. Crosshatched illustrations also give the smoothest seeming surfaces rough details that suggest that from the ants perspective details are much more exaggerated. I remember reading this story when I was a young girl and I still love it to this day. This story would be a wonderful read for all ages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Bad Ants.