Kathy's Reviews > The Arctic Incident

The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer

Feb 18, 11

Read from February 14 to 18, 2011

It's been a long while since I read the first book of this series. I remembered thinking my kid would like it. Then I picked up the second at a book sale and stuck it on the shelf. I was in the mood for something light and read it. Then I remembered why I didn't love the first book. And realized I have absolutely no desire to read the third one.

Although the plot is fine, it's a bit unrealistic (ok I know it's fiction) and I don't love ANY of the characters. I can relate to none of them. They lack emotion. And I personally dislike the dwarf who continually undoes his back flap, tunnels by eating dirt, and then passes gas, sometimes propelling himself around the room with it(really?). As in he ruined the first book for me and now he's ruined the second. It's the same type of crude humor as the movie Shrek, which I detest.

So, recommended for you if you liked Shrek, think passing gas is hilarious, and extreme improbability doesn't bother you in the slightest. So... also recommended for middle schoolers and upper elementary. Not for most adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arctic Incident.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Paiva You do know its FANTASY right? And any fantasy that is probable isn't really fantasy?