Kathleen's Reviews > The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos

The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene

2028832
Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: math-science, non-fiction, read-in-2011
Recommended for: Anyone who likes physics or science fiction
Read in February, 2011, read count: 1

I always enjoy looking at scientific concepts through the lens of the fantastic or peculiar, so this exploration of parallel universes by popular physicist Brian Greene is perfect for me. Written in his usual clear, funny style, Greene naturally discusses string theory, relativity, number theory with respect to infinities, quantum theory, and numerous other scientific concepts. Instead of simply discussing these theories, however, we get to look at various proposals of multiple universes. From the familiar quantum multiverse suggested by the probability wave math of Schrodinger's equations and the idea--Greene refers to it as a "quilted multiverse--that if the universe is infinite than it obviously repeats, to more obscure suggestions from string theory, the many kinds of parallel universes are distinct and interesting. Perhaps the most intriguing is the idea of the simulated multiverse; if one day computing power reaches the extent that we can play at building self aware, self contained universes the way I play at Spore and The Sims, then we will essentially create our own multiverses.

The most enjoyable aspect of this study is Greene's particularity in explaining the scientific concepts--and eventual testability--of these universes. This book never feels like a pointless philosophical exercise, which keeps it fun.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Reality.