Sun (the one that glows in the dark, of course)'s Reviews > Let the Right One In

Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Mar 08, 11

bookshelves: scarily-good, vampires
Read from March 07 to 08, 2011

I admit that I prefer books that involves teenagers rather than kids between twelve and thirteen. I will admit too that I read the book merely because of the hype. I didn't bother watching the movie. I actually prefer reading the book rather than watching the movie because in the movies, some of the important scenes were left out and you can never read about the emotions of the characters in detail like you can in books.
When I first started on the book, I was very much tempted to leave it unfinished because I thought it was boring, what with the Pissball and all. Oskar being bullied by his schoolmates. I am so not interested in reading about some thirteen year old's battle with his cruel friends. But it is a bit pitiful that Oskar had to squeal his way out of being a punching bag. I thank God I have enough bitchiness in me not to have anybody try to beat me up.
I dislike the book since the beginning. But I am a true reader, a true book lover so I read on merely because I wanted to understand what was so good about this book. It took me a long time.
Then, quite suddenly I didn't even remember how, I couldn't wait to continue reading the book. Every time I was doing something else, like eating, I would hurry up and reach for it once I have finished whatever it is I was doing.
The unusual friendship between Oskar and Eli was, well, unusual. But it touched me that Eli had given Oskar courage like nobody else could for him. Oskar's crush for Eli had made him stronger. Little by little, as I read Oskar's growing braveness to fight back, I admired that such strength, no matter how slow it came, could spring from a simple friendship.
Of course, Oskar still had the weird penchant for fantasies of killing his enemies and that is really scary for me. But the writer had managed to tell that these nowadays, even young kids are also beginning to be influenced by the violent environment around them. It made me sad that kids nowadays are so easily influenced.
And it also made me cringe when I read about Hakan's desire to touch Eli's body. I am literally disgusted with pedophiles and always wondered how can anyone want to do such a thing. But I pitied him. He was just another victim of, I don't know. He was a victim of his own stupidity, I guess. Despite his own aversions to doing it, he didn't mind killing people for the sake of being able to touch Eli's body.
And I cringed again when I read of Eli's a.k.a. Elias' past when he was chosen and had his, ermm, private parts cut off from him. I was like, super-eww.
The way the writer had written about the life of all the other characters in the book is amazing. I haven't read something like it since a long time. I have been reading all the paranormal books teenagers are favoring these nowadays. And it was truly outstanding to be able to connect the lives of each character in such a subtle way. I could sympathize with Lacke's grief when he lost his one true friend to some hungry vampire kid (although Eli insisted that he is not a vampire).
I like the ending a lot, where the irony of the proclamations of the people who watched Oskar being almost murdered by the bloodthirsty kids. Bleh. Being saved by an angel who fly when it was a kind-of-vampire actually.
It was nice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Right One In.