Thomas's Reviews > Echo, Volume 1: Moon Lake

Echo, Volume 1 by Terry Moore

Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel, science-fiction
Read in January, 2011

Strangers in Paradise remains one of my favorite comic series, in part because Terry Moore managed to create some complex, likable characters who I wound up really caring about over the course of their relationships. Francine and Katchoo were the primary characters, but of course the cast of other characters who interacted with their lives were also well developed and very interesting to read about. The end of that series was bittersweet, because while Francine and Katchoo finally wound up together, their story ended, and I wanted to read more about them. But it was the perfect place to end their story.

Echo is Terry Moore’s next series, and it looks to be interesting, partly because it’s populated with the same sorts of characters. It looks like the author set up a possibly complex relationship between the two main characters, and if the female protagonist looks like Katchoo, but has the personality of Francine … well, what’s not to like? There’s a bit of science fiction thrown into the mix with the suit (and I’ll let you guys discover that one on your own), but ultimately this looks like it’s shaping up to be Strangers in Paradise 2.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I trust Moore as a storyteller not to take this series and make it a copycat of Strangers in Paradise; on the other hand, I expect that Moore realized that some of his devoted readers are going to expect something very similar, and that he’s going to follow that trend. Either way, I don’t think I’m upset about it. I would prefer that he try something new, but I trust that he’s going to make some memorable characters who are worth reading about. I guess that’s a win-win situation for everyone.

In short, if you liked Strangers in Paradise, then it’s probably in your best interest to check out this new series. I’m interested in seeing where Moore is going to take the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echo, Volume 1.