Thomas's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 14: Witches

Fables, Vol. 14 by Bill Willingham

Feb 14, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, dark, graphic-novel
Read in December, 2010

More Fables! Should you be surprised? What can I say about this anyway, if you’ve already read what I had to say about the other 13 volumes? It’s about the same as it’s been, and the story continues to move forward. Still, I should state that this isn’t a criticism of the series, nor should you think that I’m saying this is “more of the same”; I’m just saying that I really don’t know what else to say about the series without repeating myself.

Still, while the series remains interesting, it’s not without a few issues, the least of which being that storylines are starting to get a little recycled. I like the direction the series takes with Witches, but the power struggles are still there, and there’s still this underlying threat of another war coming up in the near future. Machinations take place, characters get tested, and some horrible things happen along the way. Mister Dark, who had his introduction a few volumes ago, starts to take hold, and there’s definitely a portentous air about him that should carry the series for a few more storylines. Witches seems to be another transitional volume in the series, but at least there was more going on in this one than in previous transitional volumes.

For all that to be said, I’m not giving up on the series. In the past, I think I’ve said that I’m not giving up “just yet,” and I almost typed that again, but honestly, there’s no sign that I will ever really give up on the series. I’m already hooked, and I want to see where the entire thing goes, for better or for worse, so I’m sure that I’m in it for good (though I believe I said that about Cerebus until I read Going Home).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 14.