~riaria~'s Reviews > Eromenos

Eromenos by Melanie J. McDonald

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: antinous, kindle, historical-fiction, hadrian, gay, the-ancient-world, novel
Read in October, 2011

I have an Antinous fetish(yes, I shamelessly admit it), so when this came out, I knew I had to read it. So, I finally did. In this nicely written little novel, the author has the tragic poster boy of Antiquity finding a bit of space and hastily writing down his own memoirs. From his childhood and carefree years in the city of Bithynia, till the day he meets Emperor Hadrian, an encounter that would change his life for ever and of course preserve his perfect figure for posterity, for our aesthetical enjoyment. I like the fact that the writer did not choose the biggest romance-ever-way to tell the story, and that Antinous could be -at times- as much bitter, as Hadrian was a self centered prick.Korias was a nice touch, the only thing in Antinous' life resembling romance, but the bestest was the ending, which brought tears to my eyes.Oh Antinous <3

P.S. For history buffs like myself, a handy catalogue for further historical reading is provided at the back :)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eromenos.