John Martindale's Reviews > The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and its Scientific Pretensions

The Devil's Delusion by David Berlinski

Feb 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: apologetics, science, religion
Read from March 10, 2012 to January 30, 2013

David Berlinski has a huge vocabulary which he continually flaunts and a very unique writing style, that is not necessarily flowing. Occasionally he is a bit funny, one definitely sees his personality coming through the writing. It can be entertaining reading his jabs at scientist and their pretensions, he does a decent job at times. But you can't always take him all that seriously.

The book was not what I expected and hoped for. Being written by a secular Jew, I didn't expect it to be more of an apologetic for theism. But I think his attempt was to show that though he differs with Christians, still they're reasonable to believe what they do and the attacks of the atheist fail. He shows the scientist are rather deluded themselves; pointing at the speck in the religious eyes, while completely unaware of log of assumptions, wishful-thinking, and groundless speculation that is in their own eye.

Atheist love to write about all the cognitive biases, irrationalities and illusions that people are subject to, to give an explanation why religious people are SO stupid and deluded. But they don't realize the knife cuts both ways, the confirmation bias, the "what you know is all there is" bias, the halo effect, etc.. etc... are all common and obvious characteristics of the judgmental atheist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Delusion.

Patrick I can agree with what you have to say. The book wasn't as good as I expected.