Nathan's Reviews > Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits

Hellblazer by Garth Ennis

Feb 07, 2008

bookshelves: my-favorites, graphic-novels, dark, fun-entertaining, fantastic
Read in January, 1998

Hellblazer Book 6: "Dangerous Habits" collects Hellblazer issues 41-46 -- the first story from Garth Ennis' run on the title.

This is one of the very best Hellblazer books out there, and other than Book 1 (Hellblazer Original Sins), it's probably the best starting point for new readers. Along with Original Sins and Hellblazer The Fear Machine, this book is one of my favorites from the title. Not only that, but it really stands on its own pretty well; they really should make a movie about this one.

The only problem I have with this storyline at all is in how it relates to the issues that immediately preceded it. Rather than trying even a little bit to connect his story with Delano's last issues -- the choppy but mysterious and deeply interesting "The Hanged Man" (#39) and "The Magus" (#40) -- Ennis simply has John mention that his memories of the time since leaving the cave are fuzzy and indistinct. This works, given what happened in the caves, but feels a bit cheap, I find myself wanting to know more about what happened in there.

(FYI, qusoor.com puts forward the idea that it's during this foggy time, after the "Golden Boy" storyline but before "Dangerous Habits", that John meets Tim Hunter and helps initiate him onto the path of magick -- see The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman.)

Aside from that, however -- and that one little flaw is really not so much a problem with the "Dangerous Habits" book as it is a problem with integration into the larger whole -- this is a great book. Dark, exciting, funny as hell, well written, thrilling in concept and execution. This is about as good as comic books get, and for Hellblazer it's about as perfect a distillation as you'll find.

Next: Book 7 (Hellblazer Bloodlines, Ennis' second storyline)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hellblazer.