Lauraadriana's Reviews > The Dark Tide

The Dark Tide by Josh Lanyon

Feb 13, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read on February 17, 2011

Can a book emotionally torture you while you are loving every word? Yes it can...Like the first four I loved this fifth book in the Adrien English series. My first thought as I read the last line was..."Please someone tell me he is writing a sixth one".

In this book, two years have gone by since we first met Adrien and Jake. Jake has come out of the closet, filed for divorce and left the police force. He wants Adrien, but Adrien has just had heart surgery and is unsure of what he wants. Mostly he is terrified of being hurt by Jake again.

Adrien has bought the adjacent building to the bookstore and as they are working, the contractors find a dead body in the floor, it could be the body of a man who was rumored to have been killed in the building in the 50s. Well, of course Adrien needs to know what happens...he hires Jake (now a PI) to look into it with him and...Off they go!!

I loved this series...Truly loved it. Josh Lanyon is a gifted writer...He made me want to go back and start reading stuff I haven't read in years just to keep on reading beautiful sentences and feeling the feelings only a fantastic writer can bring out of you with a story. There were moments in this series that I read an thought man this guy can WRITE...I've dusted off my copy of The Big Sleep just to keep this Noirish state of mind going:O) I think Chandler would have loved Mr. English...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tide.

Quotes Lauraadriana Liked

Josh Lanyon
“Why can't you say it?" I hardened my voice. "Because I'm telling you, you never have. I'd have remembered."
He stared at me with disbelief. [...]
"Love you? Of course I love you. Baby, I fucking worship you.”
Josh Lanyon, The Dark Tide

02/17/2011 "Boo hoo the last one...I'll miss my Adrien :("
02/17/2011
25.0% "Why is this A**hole Mel back in the picture, WHY?!?!?"

Bdbaficionada Ok so I am now loving this series the first book I liked not the second as much. Although I did like how Jake is more with adrien. Book three I am reading now and love it and hate jake right now. I hope to see them back together. Btw are there only five books in the series? Thanks for the recommendation.

Lauraadriana Bdbaficionada wrote: "Ok so I am now loving this series the first book I liked not the second as much. Although I did like how Jake is more with adrien. Book three I am reading now and love it and hate jake right now. I..."

Hey, yeah there are only five to my chagrin...I would have loved them to go on forever...I love Adrien and Jake so...I'm glad that you're liking the books...I was just chatting with someone else that this series I look as one big book, so reading them one right after the other works well...Jake will break your heart...but you'll also feel for him...Enjoy!

Bdbaficionada I am almost done with book three. Jake is killing me he is abviosly in love with adrien he just needs to get it together. I am glad to hear I will feel more than anger at him in the next books. I love the mystery of the bboks too. I can see the similarities between Vic and Adrien. However I am a Vic fan all the way; )

Lauraadriana Adrien totally reminded me of Vic...J Lanyon's Holmes and Moriarity Series are really good too...but there are only two books so far. BA you will fall in love and ache for Jake...trust me :)

Heather C Now I'm missing the AE discussion

Bdbaficionada Laura I can't wait to like Jake again he is killing me. I am in book four now and I know its coming. Guy needs to leave the picture ASAP. I have been on a field trip with my daughter and all I can think of is how this is all going to play out.

Heather you didn't miss too much I started the series and love it but I am still a die hard Vic and Jacob fan.

Heather C Yes I love Vic and Jacob as well, but Adrien will always have a special place in my heart

Lauraadriana Bdbaficionada wrote: "Laura I can't wait to like Jake again he is killing me. I am in book four now and I know its coming. Guy needs to leave the picture ASAP. I have been on a field trip with my daughter and all I can ..."

BA...give him time, he'll win you back, oh those two broke my frigging heart. Although in the 'Death of Pirate King" I wanted to murder Jake...he does so much better in the fifth...and he is so frigging SOLID...but there is no one like my sweet Vic :)

Bdbaficionada Laura you are right I feel so bad for Jake right now but he is getting what was coming to him. I am trying to.slow down. I am in dark tide about chp 11 and don't want it to end. Adrienne with an e is a popular man Guy Jake and mel. OMG. Can't wait for work.to end so I can.read. BTW sorry for.all the typos I have to do this from my phone my work is blocking the goodreads site. It sucks

Lauraadriana Bdbaficionada wrote: "Laura you are right I feel so bad for Jake right now but he is getting what was coming to him. I am trying to.slow down. I am in dark tide about chp 11 and don't want it to end. Adrienne with an e ..."

BA...I had the same feeling with the last AE book, I couldn't stop reading, but I did not want it to end. Oh I wept for Jake and Adrien in this one...sorry about the GR blockade. That sucks...enjoy the rest of Adrien and Jake.

Tomorrow LUnl...Yay!

Bdbaficionada I know I have a copy of lunl on hold.and a vs copy being sent. I finished AE and am so happy with Jake and Adrine. I was waiting for.A to go to.Jacobs and I figured the move in to Lisa's. I loved it. Do you think there will be a book 6?

Heather C No book 6 but Josh says he wants to write a christmas short for 2012

Lauraadriana I'm glad you ended up liking Adrien and Jake...Jake ended up being one of the characters that have put me through the most different kinds of emotions...hated him,loved him, respected him, hated him some more...Josh Lanyon is a fine writer BA, so anything of his you pick up is worth the time :)

Alas no book 6...we just have to make up their HEA in our heads...we certainly have a lot of material :)

Bdbaficionada Thanks for the info on book six guys. I would love to see anything more with these two. I agree Jake killed me but I the end I love how fearsly he loves Adrine and is OK with it himself and them together in the end. I want to see them living in that big house together and happy.

Lauraadriana Oohhh BA I know, I look forward to the Christmas story and read about Adrien and Jake in their forever...they certainly suffered for it...I LOVE THEM...enjoy LUnl...I'm about to hunker down with my kindle and hopefully read about my beautiful Qhuay!

Bdbaficionada Girl I am with you. Believe it or not I can't get Jake and adrien out of my head. As for Lunl I started last night and V is killing me. He is my favorite brother. I am dying to read Q/B. I want there story so badly. Happy reading.

Lauraadriana I know your pain...I think I thought Adrien was a real person for awhile...Qhuay is heartbreaking in this book...but it's certainly a good one.

Bdbaficionada I just read a bit past Qhuinn on the treadmill. He is killing me along with V. I totally get thinking characters are real. This reading thing is so good but warps my self of reality sometimes. Oh well it makes me happy.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) I'm glad Adrien doesn't just take him back.