Gmr's Reviews > The Girl Who Became a Beatle

The Girl Who Became a Beatle by Greg Taylor

Feb 28, 11

Recommended to Gmr by: Feiwel and Friends
Recommended for: young adults, adults
Read from February 13 to 15, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Can you imagine reaching the heights of fame, fortune, and notoriety that your greatest musical (or otherwise) idol has? Regina can and she wants it so much not only for herself but her entire band…she can taste it. Her dream? To reach the super stardom realm of infamy inhabited by the Beatles…her absolute favorite band. After one of the worst days of her life, Gina (as she’s known to her friends and family) makes an arbitrary wish, the results of which she won’t soon forget. One moment, utter unknowns with a band falling apart at the seams; one sunrise later, a whole new world...her wish having become a dream come true.

It reads a lot like Freaky Friday meets 17 Again...just without the younger and older version of ones self to deal with. The author takes the story and the characters on a journey of their own to a land where replacing your idol is common place and the decision on whether to stay or not is all up to you. It was an interesting concept I admit, especially with the fairy godmother communicating electronically.

The characters on the other hand were a mixed bag. While I could understand the turmoil brewing within Gina’s own little group on both reality plains as well as the unspoken feelings she held for a particular love interest, there was a time or two that I wondered if she was "for real". she was believable enough to want to follow her through the various adventures she has...and enjoy a bit of celebrity status she "earned"....but the three dimensional quality was a bit lacking for me.

The messages are clear and speak to both the mind AND the soul.

Be yourself for that is as original as it gets and the only way to ensure a genuine enjoyable ride on this crazy trip we call life.
Have faith in yourself and don’t always wait for things to happen...MAKE THEM HAPPEN.
Time waits for no one...don’t be that "no one" waiting for it.

A fun read for all ages, it's great for a quick reminder that although life may not be everything you wish it was at the moment, things can and will change…but a little nudge from you along the way never hurt anything. Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Became a Beatle.

02/13/2011 page 156
54.0% "This one is going fast, and oh look! The lead characters (shortened) name is my name too! Certainly made me do a double take when Julian first addressed her....LOL. *reading*"
show 1 hidden update…