BJ's Reviews > An Italian Affair

An Italian Affair by Laura Fraser

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: biographies-memoirs-nf, around-the-world, foodie, 2011, my-shelf-nook-kindle, re-reads
Read from April 03 to 04, 2011, read count: 2

"An Italian Affair" is the first in a 2-book memoir by Laura Fraser. This was a re-read because it had been several years since I read it the first time and I recently found the second book. It is the story of a 30-ish writer (generally she writes travel pieces for various magazines)who lives in San Francisco who has a great affection for all things Italian. After her husband leaves her for an old high-school flame, she takes off for Italy to "recover." While there on vacation, she meets a married French art professor and embarks on what she thinks is a vacation fling but turns into a several year, once or twice a year, affair. During this time they meet all over the world for "vacations." He comes to San Francisco and she takes him all over California, they meet in Morroco and London and back in Italy several times. She describes in great detail the foods they eat and the places they go. I liked the book better the first time I read it. Basically, I have 2 problems with her story. The first is that she uses "you" instead of "I" throughout the book when talking about herself and I found this very annoying. The second is just due to my own moral code, I had a problem with the fact that Professor M as she calls him, was married. I thought the fact that her husband had an affair while they were married would have made her less willing to do this to another woman. Just my personal feeling. Otherwise, I enjoyed the travelogue and culinary parts of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Italian Affair.