Gia's Reviews > Touching Spirit Bear

Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen

F 50x66
Feb 13, 11

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Touching Spirit Bear and could definitely see myself teaching a book like this in a high school or upper level middle school classroom. When I was reading the descriptions about Cole I instantly thought of Tyler Blackburn, the bad boy of the new show Pretty Little Liars. His intelligence is almost to much for his own good. Being forced into a situation alone where there is no one to manipulate or blame is the best method for a character like this. I enjoyed the way Mikaelsen set up Cole's character and how beneficial the idea of circle justice can be. The other thing I enjoyed was the way Mikaelsen described the characters. Comparing their traits to things I could relate to allowed for each character to be personal. By the end of the book I felt like I knew the characters and that Cole was an old friend who I wanted to heal. Having a book like this in a classroom would be a great way to show "angry" kids a model through which they could deal with their problems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching Spirit Bear.