Donna's Reviews > Pandora

Pandora by Anne Rice

Mar 09, 11

Read from February 13 to 21, 2011

I've been working my way through all of Anne Rice's vampire books and so far Pandora has been my least favorite. That being said I still enjoyed it mostly because of Rice's delicious language and the insightful romp through history. One thing about 2000 year-old protagonists is they see a lot of history and if you trust your author to know her stuff (and this one I certainly do) you get that added bonus.

Like most of Rice's vampire tales Pandora is telling her story in first person, writing it at the behest of David Talbot, former Talamasca scholar turned vampire, who has taken on the role of chronicler for several of Rice's vampires.

Pandora as a character I'm not terribly fond of, in part perhaps because I don't understand her as well as a lot of Rice's other characters. She starts out a a strong, self-assured and educated woman and in her relationship with Marius (endearing little chauvinist that he is) we see her butt heads and hold her own perfectly well. They have their falling out and something happens to Pandora so that when we jump ahead a few hundred years to their brief reunion, she has become the fearful, passive follower to another male vampire and we never find out how or why.

Overall though I certainly recommend this book to any fan of Anne Rice. If you're just getting started in the series I wouldn't suggest starting here, but I wouldn't skip it either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandora.