Brenda's Reviews > Fall from Pride

Fall from Pride by Karen Harper

May 20, 12

Read in August, 2011

Amish barns are being torched in Home Valley Ohio, is it a hate crime against the Amish? Perhaps it might be that the arsonist is targeting barns where Sarah Kauffman has painted her murals. You see Sarah is an Amish woman who loves to paint, so when the elders of her community decide to allow her to paint quilt squares on Amish barns in the hopes it might draw in tourists, those barns start burning! When Englisher Nate MacKenzie is sent from Columbus to investigate he knows he will have his work cut out for him because of Amish beliefs. Sarah decides to help Nate any way she can and as their friendship develops they realize their feelings go deeper than that! Can Nate and Sarah work together to catch a fire bug without falling in love?

I love the contemporary feel of this Amish novel, but the thing that really drew me in was the fact that the Amish weren't standoffish instead they readily accepted the help of an outsider.Also the Amish don't come off as perfect by any means in this story. Sarah is a young Amish lady who struggles to conform to what her people believe, but her heart longs to paint. She also had a failed relationship with a young man who left the faith, which made her seem much more real to me. Nate is a character that is easy to understand,he struggles with issues from his past, but I felt like those same issues led him on the path of what he would do with his life, which was to become a fire investigator.

There was never a down time with this book, it took me awhile to figure out who the arsonist was. Although I felt the ending was a bit rushed, the conclusion was good, and of course since its part of a trilogy there were a few questions left unanswered which makes me anxious to read the next book in the series!
Overall if your looking for a contemporary Amish fiction, that is mystery and suspense blended with a sweet romance then check out "Fall From Pride," the first book in A Home Valley Amish series. If this first book is any indicator of the rest of the series then I predict its going to be a great!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fall from Pride.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janie  R. Great review, Brenda! I have read Karen Harper's book series- The Maplecreek Amish series,and it's one of those books that you can't put down,each one of them!
I am looking forward to reading A Home Valley Amish series! Thanks for the info on your review!

Brenda Have you read "Down To The Bone" by Karen Harper, I don't think it is a part of a series but it is a really good book especially if you enjoy Amish/romance/suspense. I read it several years ago and still remember the story like I read it yesterday it was just that good.

Janie  R. Oh, I have read "Down to the Bone", and it is good! I like her Amish/romance/suspense books-she keeps you guessing,hard to put down books!

Brenda I totally agree with you, her Maplecreek series was what really got me hooked on Amish fiction.