Dan Schwent 's Reviews > The Elric Saga Part II

May 31, 13

bookshelves: moorcock, reread-in-2011, fantasy, pulp, 2011
Read from May 15 to 22, 2011

** spoiler alert ** 2011 re-read:
The Vanishing Tower: Elric and Moonglum continues their quest to destroy the sorcerer Theleb K'aarna, visiting Myshella's castle, Nadsokor, the city of beggars, Tanelorn, and the Forest of Troos...

The saga of Elric continues moving toward its conclusion. Elric meets up with Myshella, flying her magic eagle thing around, takes on all kinds of demons, and meets up with Erekose, Corum, and Jhary-a-Conel. More of his destiny is revealed, Rackhir and Brut make return appearances, and Elric spends a bit of time in Tanelorn. I think that about covers it.

The Bane of the Black Sword: Elric and Theleb K'aarna have their reckoning and Elric foresakes Stormbringer for a life with Zarozinia. Can he leave the Black Sword behind?

While I was glad Theleb K'aarna got what was coming to him and Elric and Zarozinia started their relationship, this volume largely felt like filler to me, although that might be because I'm licking my chops in anticipation for the Armageddon shit-storm that is Stormbringer.

Stormbringer: Elric's retirement with Zarozinia at Karklaak near the Weeping Wastes is cut short when Jagree Lern, Theocrat of Pan Tag, summons the Dukes of Hell to Earth. Can Elric slay the Theocrat before the forces of Chaos devour the world?

Ever since reading Stormbringer for the first time, it is the measuring stick against which all endings of epic sagas are measured. Even after multiple readings, it still holds up. Elric slays gods, reawakens the dragons of Melnibone, banishes the Lord of Hell, and brings about the end of the world with the Horn of Fate. Tragedy upon tragedy befalls him, because of his hellblade Stormbringer, in part, but he keeps taking the fight to the overwhelming odds opposing him. It's crazy that by the end of the saga, Elric, Moonglum, and Dyvim Slorm are the only forces of Law left kicking against an unbelievably vast horde of the minions of Chaos. As I said before, even after more than a decade after I first read it, Stormbringer is still the measuring stick.

Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times more evil than thou!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elric Saga Part II.

05/15/2011 page 1
show 24 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alberto (last edited May 16, 2011 04:54AM) (new)

Alberto I see you're hooked with Elric. Do you know the comic book adaptation with beautiful drawings by Craig Russell? They were published by First Comics at the end of the eighties.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Alberto wrote: "I see you're hooked with Elric. Do you know the comi book adaptation with beatiful drawings by Craig Russell? They were published by Frst Comics at the end of the eighties."

I have a few of the Elric comics and a couple of the Corum ones as well. Mike Mignola did the Corum series for First, IIRC.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got the entire Elric run somewhere.

message 4: by John (new)

John I really need to re-read this series at some point. It's been a few years, but it's still a favorite of mine.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent John wrote: "I really need to re-read this series at some point. It's been a few years, but it's still a favorite of mine."

This was my first time reading them in something like ten years. I might do the first three Corum books in a couple months.