Dan Schwent 's Reviews > The Dark Tower

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

Aug 31, 11

bookshelves: western, plan-on-rereading-one-day, reread-in-2011, weird-western, man-tears
Read in August, 2011

The 2011 re-read
The quest for the Dark Tower comes to a brutal conclusion. Can Roland and his friends stop the Breakers of Algul Siento, safeguard the Beam, protect the Rose, stop Stephen King from being run down and killed, and reach the Dark Tower?

This is the end of my favorite epic of all time. I'm just going to mark the rest of the review as spoilers. Read at your own risk.
(view spoiler)

I don't really have much else to say. It was my favorite epic when I was 19 and will probably be my favorite epic when I'm 99. It's not for everyone but few really good books are. I'll be reading it again in the future. Hopefully sooner than another seven years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Tower.

08/25/2011 page 1
08/25/2011 page 3
0.0% "It begins..."
08/30/2011 page 751
89.0% "Even sadder the second time."
show 29 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-24)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 24: by Kurt (new)

Kurt Reichenbaugh Dan, one of these days I have to get around to reading these dark tower books. I recall liking a Roland story of King's in one his collections.

message 23: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent It's my favorite series but I can see why some people wouldn't know what to think about it. There aren't a lot of stories about a Gunslinger trying to get to a Dark Tower and save all of existence.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I, too, take a day off to read this, and I also cried - a lot!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually timed it just right, so that I would be finishing book VI the day before this one came out. I read books V, VI, and VII, back-to-back-to-back. It was probably the best reading experience of my life. I'll never forget that time.

message 20: by Dan (last edited Aug 30, 2011 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent D_Davis wrote: "I actually timed it just right, so that I would be finishing book VI the day before this one came out. I read books V, VI, and VII, back-to-back-to-back. It was probably the best reading experience..."

message 19: by TK421 (new)

TK421 Your comments make me want to stop everything and blow through the last four books...alas, I shall practice constraint...maybe

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda I've heard so much about these books. I should and will read them some day, I promise.

Kemper "It was my favorite epic when I was 19 and will probably be my favorite epic when I'm 99."

I see what you did there....

message 16: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Kemper wrote: ""It was my favorite epic when I was 19 and will probably be my favorite epic when I'm 99."

I see what you did there...."

I was waiting for someone to notice.

message 15: by Cassy (new)

Cassy A great, honest review, Dan!

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin I took days off for each of the last three books. Every time someone died or something else emotional happened, I'd take my dog for a walk and absorb what happened before starting up again. We walked a lot that weekend.

I do this kinda reflection on certain chapters of books that make me think the same way; get up, make a coffee, and just take in what I have just read. Let it sink in. I have the first two books of this series, you make me want to read them now.

message 13: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Cassy wrote: "A great, honest review, Dan!"

Thanks. This series is my favorite so I figured I'd better go all out in the review.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Kevin wrote: "I took days off for each of the last three books. Every time someone died or something else emotional happened, I'd take my dog for a walk and absorb what happened before starting up again. We walk..."

I think a lot of the impact was due to the years reading and re-reading the first four books while I was waiting for King to finish the series. You get to know the characters pretty well once you go through the first four books five or six times.

Jason I find it funny that with so many truly gifted fantasy authors out there our favoritte epic series, along with countless others is done by the master of horror...

Jason This series has the best starting chapter of book 1 and closing chapter of the final. I have read them all twice but I too need to reared them now that I am a different and older reader.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Jason wrote: "This series has the best starting chapter of book 1 and closing chapter of the final. I have read them all twice but I too need to reared them now that I am a different and older reader."

One of the reasons I like the Dark Tower so much is that it's a grand quest without being a Lord of the Rings rehash like so many of the others.

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike Great review, it seems everyone else here are soldiers for the Good Man. I see some very harsh reviews. I've read this series twice, and I'm on my third time (I skipped the 4th one this time due to availability) and I cried the second time as I'm sure I will when I finish and I think because of reading Sai King's works I'm too critical of other authors (Dean Koontz, for example) I read Hunger Games and felt like I was reading an awkward narrative by a third grader. Each time I read the DT series it is a whole new adventure, maybe that's why knowing the ending (which I understand although it wasn't as satisfying as some might have hoped) didn't change anything for me. Hopefully someday people's ignorance will reach the clearing at the end of the path. Til then, long days and pleasant nights, if it do ya

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Loved this sentence.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Mike wrote: "Great review, it seems everyone else here are soldiers for the Good Man. I see some very harsh reviews. I've read this series twice, and I'm on my third time (I skipped the 4th one this time due to..."

Just noticed this comment. Thanks and maybe we'll re-read the series together one day.

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Anthony wrote: "
[spoilers removed]

Loved this sentence."

Thanks. (view spoiler)

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2012 03:37PM) (new)

Dan wrote: "Anthony wrote: "
[spoilers removed]

Loved this sentence."

Thanks. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Maureen i like your review even though i'm one of those people who hates the ending of this series. for me (view spoiler). my favourite book of the series is 4, wizard and glass because i love roland's back story so much. :)

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Maureen wrote: "i like your review even though i'm one of those people who hates the ending of this series. for me [spoilers removed]. my favourite book of the series is 4, wizard and glass because i love roland's..."

That was another part I wasn't crazy about.

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Anthony wrote: "Man this makes me want to reread every one of these books and all the ones connected to the series again!"

I might be up for a re-read next year but it's a little soon.