Linda Grant's Reviews > Winter in June

Winter in June by Kathryn Miller Haines

F_50x66
Mar 01, 11

Read in August, 2010

The third book in the Rosie Winter Mysteries series takes us to the South Pacific on a USO tour in search of Rosie’s ex boyfriend Jack and some accidental adventure. Rosie and her Best Friend Jane have joined the USO camp shows as a means of gaining access to the Solomon Islands and contacts that might lead them to finding exactly what happened to Jack.

Jack has been lost in the South Pacific during the mysterious capsizing of his Navy vassal. He is rumored to be both alive and dead, under mysterious circumstances, and Rosie needs to find out which for her own piece of mind.

However, Jacks is not the only mystery that we see Rosie encounter in her new adventures. Before she and Jane left San Francisco a body was found floating in the bay. Rosie also stumbles onto this mystery and unravels the tale of the poor mysterious girl floating in the water.
During Rosie’s and Jane’s adventures with the USO we meet many different characters one more original than the next. This cast of characters include, to name few, a bitter comedian and a former femme fatale who is seeking to make a new name for herself on the home front through the USO tours.
While in the South Pacific Rosie and Jane also run into a bit of their old New York surroundings, in the form of former street goons, who joined the Navy and have been recruited to watch over Jane by her ex New York Gangster boyfriend.

I am a huge fan of Rosie and her adventures. Each one is like catching up with an old friend. Kathryn Miller Hanes shows us through Rosie eyes 1940’s New York and beyond. She shows us a world at war and the people and their relationships and how they work around said world at war. She introduces us to characters that are fresh and new despite the fact that they live in another time. The reader is able to step back in time unravel a mystery and absorb a story that is totally different from the modern context of womanhood.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter in June.