Paul's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Feb 13, 11

Read in February, 2011

If I had to use one word to describe this book it would be "opening". If I had two words it would be "eye-opening" and that would make a lot more sense. This is my first Malcolm Gladwell book and I loved it! This book takes the modern classic stories of success and demystifies them. For instance, everyone knows that Bill Gates is a ba-gillioneer success. What must people don't know is that he was also a geek with incredible resources, who happened to be in the right place at the right time. Am I talking a little trash about Bill Gates? Maybe.

What Gladwell effectively does with this book shows how just about any of us are capable of great things, provided that there are enough lucky circumstances which proceeded our birth. Things completely out our control such as: family economic status, technological advantages, cultural revolutions, race, origin of birth, month off birth, and other crazy crap. After reading this book, life as we know it, really reminds me of the game of "Life". Like we're all little pink or blue pieces, and our outcomes are determined by a spin of a stupid plastic wheel. A wheel probably manufactured in china.

As you read through this book, you may find yourself having several "ah-ha" moments as I did. I love a book that makes me feel smarter than I really am, and that's what this is. So the next time you feel like an under-achiever, just remember, it's not your fault. It's most likely your grand parents fault!
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.