Gavin's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Feb 13, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, fantasy, better-than-it-had-any-right-to-be, romance
Read from February 19 to 21, 2011

Honestly I'm not completely sure this book objectively merits the full five stars. It's obviously a first book, the author is desperate to show us his literary cred (Gilgamesh a-go-go), some of R's monologuing gets a bit purple, and the epilogue absolutely does not need to be here.

But something about this book is so incredibly... vital, ironically, that it bypasses the gnarled, critical side of my brain. Honestly it's really hard to talk about it without spoiling so I apologise if this is a bit bare-bones.

The story is told from the perspective of R(omeo), who meets, saves and falls in love with the living girl Julie(t). This story of the man-tagues and corpse-ulets is entertaining & satisfying in and of itself, but for a 240 page novel the amount of subtext and allusion is remarkable.

The book has prodigious emotional heft, R is a wonderful protagonist, M is a loveable comic foil and Julie does actually come across as vibrant as opposed to annoying, which is a real achievement for any writer.

I only picked up the sample because I saw Simon Pegg had gushed about it on the front cover. Thank you very much, Simon.

EDIT: I marked this down to four in light of recently re-reading Reaper Man.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.