Sarah Jane's Reviews > A Brief History of Time

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

Feb 13, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, science, space-astrophysics, physics
Read in January, 2010

The point of A Brief History is pretty self-explanatory I'd say. Stephen Hawking details the glories and mysteries of the universe and most major theories on such that have been created (and then disproved) to date in a relatively short book. It's definitely worth reading if you have any desire to understand the universe or the science of it. It's directed at the non-genius community, so it's not TOO hard to follow. Stephen Hawking also includes some brief anecdotes about his life. He is an interesting man if ever there were one. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the book is that Stephen Hawking makes a point to stay away from the science vs. God debate. He mentions many times when the church influenced the course of scientific history and several theories for AND against the concept of a god but always leaves the ultimate judgment up to the reader. I like this because I find the entire debate pointless. The scientific method is just that: methodical. It's precise and experimental and, for all intents and purposes, immune to influence of faith. If a scientist wants to see God in the cells under his microscope, let him. If another scientist wants to claim evolution or any other theory as definitive proof that there is no God, let him. If a person wants to believe that a man-like creator single-handedly constructed and animated every living being on Earth etc., let him. Blah. Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Read the book. It's good.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Brief History of Time.