Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Nicholas Dane

Nicholas Dane by Melvin Burgess

Feb 16, 11

bookshelves: dystopia, older-teens, person-library, abuse, based-on-classics
Read from February 14 to 16, 2011

Wow this book... I'm torn between what to grade it, so I'll go with four stars. Part of me hates this book, but part of me loves it. It was a fast, easy read, but difficult at the same time. The amount of abuse Nick faces is just incredible.

What first attracted me to the book was the cover, and then the description inside that said it was "Dickensian" and loosely based on Oliver Twist. I was excited, so I bought it thinking I would put it in my classroom library after I read it. I will not be doing that, because of the amount of language and cruelty in the book. While it is good and I will recommend it to more mature readers, it is not one I will provide for students.

One of the issues I had with the book was the head hopping between characters. Even the minor characters were given a voice, and I knew everything that was happening. I wouldn't have minded a few characters, but all of them? It started to get confusing. By the end I was used to it, though, and I think it served a purpose.

Also, the ending seemed very abrupt. Suddenly it was the future and everything turned out - if not perfect - okay. Oliver was my favorite character and I'm a little upset that I didn't get to see what happened to him, but then again, maybe I don't want to know...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nicholas Dane.

02/14/2011 page 60
14.0% "Not sure how I feel about the book so far. I want to like it, but so far it's kind of disappointing me. I don't like how the adults all assume things about Nicholas and his mother."
02/14/2011 page 119
29.0% "This book is shaping up to be a fast read. And I'm starting to like it more... but I feel guilty about it because I know what's coming can't be good. Still not liking all the head hopping, though."
02/15/2011 page 232
56.0% "Such a fast read. Good but horrifying."
02/15/2011 page 304
73.0% "OLIVER... I now love that name. For secondary characters, he ranks up there with Simon for me as tragic characters I adore. <3"