Paul Aslanian's Reviews > Younger Next Year: A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Beyond

Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley

M_50x66
Feb 13, 11

Read in February, 2011

A week ago I was down in NC visiting my Cousin Clay; as I was leaving he reached over, pulled a book off his bookshelf, handed it to me, and said “read this book it changed my life”. The book is Younger Next Year by Crowley and Lodge, M.D.. Crowley, my age, is the cheer leader, a retired successful big time NYC litigator who happens to be one of Lodge’s patients. Lodge provides the nuts and bolts (science) and Crowley largely scripts the book with some sections/chapters written by Lodge.

The book doesn’t break any ground we are not aware of—exercise, eat reasonably, and be a committed member of your family or other people/groups/orgs. What is different is for each of those prescriptions Lodge provides the science behind the recommendations.

The exercise part (mandatory 45 minute sessions 6 days a week—4 cardio, 2 weights) is broken down into cardio stuff and weights and how/why this stuff works—often explained at the molecular level.

The food stuff is pretty much common sense—again why certain kinds of fats and or pasta should not be high on your list of foods you consume.

Perhaps the part on emotional attachments was the most interesting and why. I didn’t even know I had a Limic brain. That is the emotional part of our brains. The other parts are the intellectual and the machine/motor.

I guess the true test is whether one believes enough in this stuff to actually change habits. Personally the biggest take away for me is the need to do the weight stuff and why. The cardio is all about circulations—the longer life part, but the weights is about mobility and the ability to do things as we age. Again Lodge goes into the biology of the need to do weights.

The book is written for guys. The have jointly written a different book: Younger Next Year for Women.

Thanks Clay for those daily trips to the gym!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Younger Next Year.