Lindsey's Reviews > An Essay on the Principle of Population

An Essay on the Principle of Population by Thomas Robert Malthus

Feb 13, 11

Read in February, 2011

It was interesting to finally read something that I've always heard so much about. Most of what I knew of the book was correct, and the big fallacy that is always attributed to him - the discounting of technological advance that increases the productivity of land - is omnipresent when reading the arguments.

However, I was surprised by the expression of some surprisingly liberal ideas, especially regarding women and their position in life. He both acceded that women are not of lesser intellectual faculty than men, and said that their position as the subordinate sex subject to a number of unpleasant double standards was not due to their lack of strength or inherent susceptibility to hysteria, but to the constraints that society puts upon them. He attributed the vigrin/whore complex, and its lack of application to men (not his words) to the fact that children out of wedlock could only be easily attributed to one parent, and not to any male superiority.

Basically, the book was what I expected, but with a few pleasant little extras.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Essay on the Principle of Population.