Lissa's Reviews > Frostbite

Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Apr 12, 11

bookshelves: kick-ass-heroine, 2011, hey-that-s-my-name
Read on April 12, 2011, read count: 2

Frostbite is the second instalment of the Vampire Academy YA series, and although I really enjoy it, it seems to me that it doesn't so much continue the overall story arch as just give an episode in the life of Rose.
Don't get me wrong, it's another entertaining read. But we're treated to Rose and Dimitri both trying to make relationships with other people work, knowing that they can't be together.
The location shifts dramatically away from the Academy (it won't be the last time) because Strigoi are attacking and murdering Moroi and their dhampir guardians in large numbers. So the school whisks everyone away to a large and luxurious ski resort. We get some ski slopes action, which is OK. It shows us Rose's wilder side. Her rebelliousness both comes out and is reined in in this book. She's growing up - a lot.
We see the return of some great characters such as Mia, Mason, and Christian, and we're also introduced to wild Moroi royal Adrian Ivashkov. He's a bad influence - older than the girls - who loves to drink and smoke. But he's got his own reasons. I won't give it away. He also is very interested in both Lissa and Rose - but for very different reasons.
Things take a turn for the worst when Mason - who embodies Rose's more rebellious, reckless side, and who also has the biggest and sweetest crush on her - decides to take on a bunch of Strigoi and takes Mia and Eddie with him. Meanwhile, Dimitri's seriously considering taking up the offer of Christian's aunt, Tasha Ozera, on becoming her guardian and providing her with dhampir children.
The plot of this book is a little weird and not as great as the others, but at least we finally get to meet some Strigoi and find out why they're so nasty.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frostbite.

04/12/2011 page 160