Krista Ashe's Reviews > Flash Burnout

Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan

Feb 13, 11

bookshelves: my-111-of-2011
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I really liked this book---so much so, that I started it last night and devoured it late into the night. I loved Blake--I think Madigan did a great job capturing the male POV. This is high praise indeed since I wrote a male narrated book as well. I never found myself thinking, "This sounds like a chick....".

Even though it was a heavy handed subject, I didn't think it was as gritty as it could've been--BUT, that's the true beauty of it. It's the harshness of Marissa's world encapsulated in the perfect suburband family of Blake. It's the people next door to us or the kid sitting next to us in class that hides the really dark secrets.

Like I said, I really loved the contrast of the idyllic family that Blake and his brother Garett come from with Marissa's meth addicted mom and biker brother. There's also a contrast with the parents of Shannon--her ice princess mom is shudderworthy. I loved the dad who was a medical examiner--the scene where Garret takes Blake and Marissa to see if the latest cadevor is Marissa's mom was amazing....the emotions captured between Blake, Marissa and Garrett are great. Great chemistry with the parents who still seemed so in love as well as with the parents and children(like when Blake stumbles to tell his mother that he told Shannon he loves her)

The only reason why I gave it 4 Stars was the ending....I didn't like the open endedness....and I wasn't really sure that straight laced Marissa(well except for the boozing at football games) would take off with her meth addicted mom. Or if she did, I would have liked a resolution with Blake, not Gus, Marissa's brother going to look for her.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash Burnout.