Becky's Reviews > Bound

Bound by Donna Jo Napoli

Mar 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011-favorites
Read on March 01, 2011

Xing Xing is an orphan. Her stepmother has been kind enough to keep care of her, as long as Xing Xing does as she is told. But Stepmother has a problem. She must marry off Xing Xing's stepsister before all the money is gone. But in China, girls need small feet to be married off, and stepsister does not have small feet. How will these three women survive life and each other?

This book is basically Cinderella if it happened in China. Honestly, I liked this book so much more than any of the Cinderella stories I have heard from Disney. This is a story with shades in it. Stepmother isn't all bad, but she isn't always good and very rarely nice to anyone. But Stepmother has had a hard life and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. The stepsister (only one in this book) is an object of pity, not cruel like in the Disney version. She is in constant pain and she knows that she will have a difficult time finding a husband, which the family needs. These characters were very real. This books shows the balance between the good and evil inside all of us and how our choices make the scales tip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.