Stacy Pershall's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Feb 13, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read in October, 2007

This is my favorite book of all time, ever. There are lifetimes of lessons about writing and being human to be learned here. I finished reading the Norton critical edition (yay for my publisher!) on a beach in Oaxaca, Mexico, because I'm the kind of dork who reads Faulkner on the beach, and lay there in the sand clutching it to my chest and just saying, "Wow. Wow. Wow." I remember trying to read it in college and totally bouncing off it, thinking it was awful; I don't know what my problem was. Maybe I just needed another 20 years of growing and learning about heartbreak to understand what it meant when Benjy screamed, Caddy fled and (girl) Quentin slipped out the window in the night. My recommendation to those who have never undertaken Faulkner: read the first sentence of the Dilsey section. If you think it's brilliant, or if you're just mystified and wonder what the hell, read the book. If you can't stand it, okay, you're allowed to skip Faulkner until you're ready. But please don't live your life without any Faulkner in it, because that would be sorely missing out. You, Caddy. You, Quentin. You.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.