Ashlee Telschow's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Jun 11, 12

Read from June 10 to 11, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed this book. I love Mia's narrating and I thought the book had an equal balance of present-time and past.

The book is about a girl named Mia, who is 17 year old senior and a promising cellist. She comes from a musical family, but her parents are more rock and roll. She meets a boy named Adam, a guitarist, and they become a really close couple. The book starts out on a snow day when school is cancelled. Within the first 30 pages a lot of action happens (I love books that dive right in and don't start slow.) Mia and her family decide to make an adventure out of the snow day, and go to visit family and friends. On the road however, are in a horrific car accident. Both her parents are killed instantly and her little brother dies soon after. Oddly enough though, Mia is in an "in between" stage. She isn't dead but isn't really alive. She is like a ghost without the "ghost abilities" she is pretty much standing watch over what is going on. She find out she has the ability to go back to her body if she so chooses, or to move on into the unknown (and -possibly- be reunited with her family.) Throughout the whole book it toggles from present tense to past tense. She will narrate a brief update of what is going on the in hospital in the current time, and then there will be a flashback of some previous time in her life. The flashbacks are what really paints a picture of how Mia and Adam got together, and gives more in depth details of all the characters. At the very end of the book, Mia I guess decides to "stay" and she wakes in the hospital bed this time (not an invisible to people-apparition standing aside) and she squeezes Adam's hand.

Can't wait to read the new one (I'll probably pick it up later tonight) but I heard it was from Adam's point of view, and I really loved Mia's....hmm.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

06/10/2012 page 216