Cafelilybookreviews's Reviews > Lady in the Mist

Lady in the Mist by Laurie Alice Eakes

Feb 13, 11

Tabitha Eckles bears many secrets and some of them are her own. At twenty fours years of age and considered to be a spinster in her community, Tabitha carries on the role of midwife that her mother and grandmother left behind. Though she longs to be a wife and a mother and give up midwifery altogether, she has no one to rely on but herself and is forced to work and make a living.

Heartbroken when her fiancé Raleigh disappears, Tabitha mourns his absence, as she fears the British who are combing the Virginia coast abducting young men for their military have kidnapped him. Losing Raleigh is almost more than Tabitha can bear after losing everyone else she loves most. Out of nowhere a mysterious man crosses Tabitha’s path one night and she’s both intrigued and nervous at the same time. Although Dominick Cherrett is warm and friendly, he’s also an Englishman which automatically makes him the enemy. Tabitha finds Dominick charming and attractive, but she fights her feelings towards him knowing that he could be part of the reason her fiancé is missing. Dominick has his own secrets working for the mayor, as a bondsman in his home.

I enjoyed this book because it dealt with the profession of midwifery, which I find to be a fascinating subject. It also touched on the subject of a press-gang (A detachment of seamen under the command of an officer, empowered to impress men into the naval service.) which I knew very little about, but found to be interesting as well. I thought that the interaction between Tabitha and Dominick was very believable and well written.

The story becomes more intense as each chapter goes by and the more Tabitha learns about Dominick, the more mysterious he seems to become. Lady in the Mist is a marvelous blend of romance, adventure, suspense and historical fiction. I’m looking forward to the second book in this series.

Available February 2011 from your favorite seller of Revell Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lady in the Mist.