Phoebe's Reviews > Armageddon's Children

Armageddon's Children by Terry Brooks

Feb 06, 2008

Read in February, 2008

Terry Brooks is a master storyteller. I was not so impressed with his book Running with the Demon but with this new series harkening back to the beginning of the world we know from the Shannara books, he has utterly and devastatingly proven that he is one of the best fantasy writers to date. (I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!). The scene is post-apocalyptic America: the Great Wars have destroyed the environment. Society as we know it has collapsed. Demons and hordes of once-men roam the countryside wreaking destruction on all they come across. Human remnants hunker down in well-fortified compounds (former sports arenas). Other humans have mutated as a result of the poisoned environment into Freaks: Lizards, Croaks and Spiders who roam through the cities preying on the weak. Life is hellish, danger lies at every turn and things are about to get much worse since the demons are out to annihilate everyone, targeting the compounds one by one. Hope for humanity lies in a small band of street children (named the "Ghosts") who have come together not only for their survival but because of a need to belong to a "family." The leader of the Ghosts (Hawk) is charged with leading his family and others to a place that is safe from the impending destruction. In true Terry Brooks fashion, the odds against the Ghosts are overwhelming. This book captures the spirit of adventure that can be found in Terry Brooks' first two Shannara series. What springs from his imagination is incredible and his characters are finely drawn (realistic mixtures of weaknesses and strengths). I loved his attention to detail. For instance, the Ghosts kept a huge, vicious dog that Hawk had named Cheney from a name picked up from a history book. Hawk named him Cheney for "a long dead politician who'd been around when the seeds of the Great Wars had been planted" and because the history book had described the politician as "a bulldog spoiling for a fight." Hilarious! Just a warning, be prepared to have the sequel "The Elves of Cintra" ready at hand since the first book was a page turner and the "Elves of Cintra" picks up right where "Armageddon's Children" ends. The only bad thing is that the third book in the series has not yet been published (BOO!) but it will definitely be worth the wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Armageddon's Children.