Earl Grey Tea's Reviews > Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the Twentieth Century

Opening Skinner's Box by Lauren Slater

Feb 13, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction, sociology, essay
Read in October, 2010

The positive thing about this book is that I was introduced to many different sociological experiments and the history of sociology. The stories were a nice overview that accessible to the reader and I did learn a lot.

With that being said, I feel that the author put way too much of her personal viewpoints into the writing that at times really detracted from the writing or even outright twisted the historically accuracy. In one passage she wrote [and I paraphrase], "How did Issac Newton feel when he gave up the hand of god for the Laws of Gravity?" In this writing the author makes the reader feel that Newton gave up religion because of this, despite the fact that he was extremely religious.

Other times the author uses extremely flowery lines to "create" the mood or ambiance. Also she interjected her ideas of what the person of the passage would be thinking or feeling. If you are going to be doing this, please write Romance Novels instead.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opening Skinner's Box.