Sarah Mackey's Reviews > Mastiff

Jan 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from December 27, 2011 to January 02, 2012

Ugh. This is more of a 2.5 stars but it gets 3 stars from general Tamora Pierce goodwill. This is by far my least favourite Tortall book and I was really disappointed by it. I didn't love this series in general but this was the weakest of the lot. It felt like a 300 page story streeeetttttched into a 600 page book and there was so much repetition.

Tamora Pierce's secondary characters are usually her strongest suit and they just lacked sparkle in this series and this book in particular. I kind of liked Farmer (probably because it's been ages since I read the last two Beka books so I wasn't as attached to the previous love interests) but there was a huge opportunity with Sabine here that was just completely wasted.

Just overall not worth the time investment. The tag at the end reminded me of how much I love this world, but this book just didn't live up to its predecessors.

And now I shall continue my eternal longing for an update on Kel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mastiff.

Alissa I really liked the first two books - they might be my favourite in the Tortall (well okay except for Aly and Nawat) and was disappointed by this one.