Nomes's Reviews > Fixing Delilah

Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

Sarah Ockler debuted with Twenty Boy Summer ~ an addictive, emotional yet fun must read for fans of contemp YA. I became an instant fan of her writing and themes handled so dexterously for teens. Twenty Boy Summer was like a blend of Sarah Dessen mashed up with The Sky is Everywhere (Jandy Nelson) in a cute little beach read with a huge emotional punch.

Anyways, I was MOST thrilled to read her sophomore novel, Fixing Delilah.

Fixing Delilah is quite different to Twenty Boy Summer, but equally as gorgeous.

Ockler's prose is JUST STUNNING. Gorgeous and lyrical and surprising. It's the sort of book you don't want to skim ahead. Each sentence is written to be savoured ~ it's a book where I'm crushing big time on the writing. The way Ockler finds the perfect rhythm with her prose, and the eye for details and the gift she has for expressing emotion sets her apart as a talented author to keep your eye on.

As for the story ~ it is another book set over summer. Not at the beach this time, but in a small country town. The plot focus's on relationships: Delilah's relationships with her mum, her mum's relationship with her sister, family relationships and secrets from the past AND Delilah's relationship with The Boy Next Door.

The Boy Next Door is Patrick and I'm sure he is leaping onto people's literary crush lists all over the world. He's one guy you really should meet ~ often shirtless, plays guitar, sings, mucks around and is Delilah's childhood playmate. Ockler also knows how to write some verrrry sweet make-out scenes heating it up while keeping it PG. SWOON

It's a classic coming of age. Working through your stuff and growing up, Delilah's character ARC was wonderfully done, subtle and quiet and ultimately touching.

This is very much a book for fans of literary fiction. It's plot may not be as dynamic/addictive as Twenty Boy Summer for some readers, but the setting is just as rich and it's a book you can fall into and find yourself lost in.

I ADORED it and plan on re-reading it. It's on my keepers shelf, guys :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fixing Delilah.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erica (daydreamer) Great review! I loved 20 Boy Summer. Ockler's writing is gorgeous, I need to read this book soon!

message 2: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Awesome review! I want to read this!!

~Tina~ Yay's! Glad you liked this one:)

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Beautiful review Nomes. So glad you enjoyed it. The writing is just so gorgeous and so is Patrick :D